As I gaze outside at beautifully falling March snow, I am reminded that it is still winter, no matter how much I wish it were otherwise. And so, I’m going to embrace it and just love it and enjoy it. And so to really honour it I’m going to make a list of all the things that I will miss about winter. Yes winter. Things I’ll miss about winter.
I wrote a similar list when I was pregnant and over-due with Sophia… things that I will miss about being pregnant. That list had things on it like, ‘I’ll miss all the attention’ and “I’ll miss little feet and elbows jabbing me in the ribs’ and things like that. But then a few days later I gave birth and I haven’t thought about that list again until now almost 2 years later. So this list is different because I really do love winter. Really I love it, I do. So without further ado… my list.
- How cute the kids (especially Sophia) look all bundled up in their snow suits
- How beautiful everything outside looks with a fresh clean blanket of sparkling snow
- Playing outside with the kids, tobogganing, snow-ball fights, making forts, making snow men, all of it
- Making and eating winter comfort foods like shepherd’s pie, chilli etc
- Being able to concentrate on just my inside house-work
- Curling up by the fire with a blanket, a book and some chocolate
There – now I know I only came up with 6 things, but this is winter we’re talking about. Now just to even things up and show that there are two sides to me, I’m going to list the things that I won’t miss about winter… so here goes….
- I won’t miss how cute the kids (especially Sophia) look all bundled up in their snow suits. They were cute, but not cute enough to want to stuff another kid into another snow ever again.
- I won’t miss how beautiful everything outside looks with a fresh clean blanket of sparkling snow… my new favourite outdoor colour is GREEN.
- I won’t miss playing outside with the kids, tobogganing, snow-ball fights, making forts, making snow men, because I still will be playing outside with the kids, we’ll be playing soccer, blowing bubbles and swimming in the pool!
- I won’t miss making and eating winter comfort foods like shepherd’s pie, chilli because honestly, the next time I see a pound of ground beef it better be in the form of a hamburger on the BBQ.
- I won’t miss being able to concentrate on just my inside house-work because I’m getting SICK OF MY HOUSE. Can anyone say CABIN FEVER? Oh dear, I’m yelling, sorry.
- Curling up by the fire with a blanket, a book and some chocolate – well this shouldn’t be on this list, because I really will miss this one. You just can’t beat it and I will dream about it all summer, well maybe not, but still.
So winter, stay as long as you want, or maybe just stay until tomorrow.