This morning when rounds came they were still being led by doctor who the head of the heart transplant program, and she knows her stuff. She was the one who decided earlier this week that Ava should get the heavier diuretics twice a week – but since Ava’s kidney’s aren’t responding that well anymore, she now needs to receive diuretics every other day. Anyway…
While they were talking on rounds, they decided that since it’s clear that Ava is not doing well, they are going to try to start her on another heart drug tomorrow – Dobutamine. It’s like Milrinone, and if it works, the dr said we might be able to buy Ava another 4-6 weeks waiting time for a heart. This news kinda broke my heart. Jason and I know Ava isn’t doing well, we know her little heart is just getting worse and everyday and I can see the effect of that… but hearing an actually time-line was hard.
And it doesn’t mean the doctor knows for sure that’s all the time she has left, and we understand that. But I think they are just looking at Ava’s downward trend even in the past few weeks, and since it has been going downhill pretty rapidly, I think it’s fair for them to assume that at some point you have to reach the bottom.
If God is going to send us a new heart, we need it to come fast. But in saying that, our doctor also told me today that if Ava does get a new heart now, it will likely be a slow recovery for her as her health has deteriorated so much. Even today she is still having blood in her diaper, but they have decided not to treat it, or even find out what the problem is, as the cure would probably be harder on her than the disease.
So we are just asking for your prayers once again as we wait and trust for God’s perfect plan.
My friend Christa posted this quote on Pinterest, and so I wrote it out and pinned this up at the hospital today in Ava’s room…
So even though the news was hard to hear today – we know it’s still not the end of the story for Ava.
God still has a plan and He is faithful and sure.